The Social Security Administration will be taking Medicare Part B enrollment applications online for working aged individuals who qualify for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).

Individuals may use this online enrollment application if they are 65 or older and have or had group health plan coverage within the last 8 months through an employer.

To complete this online enrollment application, individuals will need:

  • Their Medicare number
  • Their current address and phone number
  • A valid email address
  • Documentation verifying your group health plan coverage
The online application can be found here.

Beneficiaries must have both Part A and Part B in order to be eligible for any of the plans our brokers sell.

Need Help with your Medicare Part D Costs?

If you can’t afford your Medicare Part D premiums or out-of-pocket costs, here are two programs that may help if you’re eligible. You should apply for both.

1. Extra Help / LIS (Low Income Subsidy)

Medicare beneficiaries can qualify for Extra Help - which is a Federal Program with their Medicare prescription drug plan costs. To qualify for the Extra Help, a person must be receiving Medicare, have limited resources and income, and reside in one of the 50 States or the District of Columbia.

Extra Help may:

  • Pay your monthly premium for a Part D plan that is “LIS Eligible.” If you enroll in a Part D plan that is not LIS Eligible, you may have to pay part of the monthly premium. During open enrollment, when you look at Part D plans, be sure to find out which are LIS Eligible.
  • Lower your co-payments
  • Pay your deductible
  • Cover your costs during the coverage gap, also called the “donut hole.”

Learn more about the Extra Help program

2. State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs (SPAPs)

  • What are SPAPs?
  • State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs (SPAPs) are state-run programs that assist low-income seniors and adults with disabilities in paying for their prescription drugs. SPAP coverage varies by state, but the programs generally provide Part D “wraparound” coverage, meaning that they pay costs that Medicare Part D does not pay.

  • Who can apply for an SPAP?
  • Eligibility rules vary by state. Some states require applicants to be enrolled in Medicare and unable to qualify for the Part D Low Income Subsidy (LIS/Extra Help). Other states may only offer SPAPs to individuals with certain chronic conditions, such as for those who are HIV+.

  • Does every state have an SPAP?
  • No. Fewer than half of all states have an SPAP. To find out if an SPAP is available in your area, hover over and select your state from the map below.

Would you like to work with a local licensed sales agent? Contact us today, and we’ll put you in good hands.